Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Image Study: A New Horizon

“ I head down the hot sidewalk at eight thirty in the morning wondering what I’m on do with the rest a my day. The rest of my life. I am shaking and crying and a white lady walk by frowning at me…the sun is bright but my eyes is wide open…” (Stockett 522)
                I find this to be one of the most important images in the book; when Aibileen walks away from the Leefolt house. She’s lost so much at this point, and her conundrum about life hits her in this exact moment. She’s lost her job as a maid and knows she cannot get another, and the one Miss Skeeter prescribed won’t be enough money for her to live off of that long. Throughout her years she had always believed that she was too old to start over; that her life was done. But it is in this moment that Aibileen realizes that this is only the beginning. She thinks to herself, “Maybe I ain’t too old to start over… and I laugh and cry at the same time at this. Cause just last night I thought I was finished with everything new…”(Stockett 522) and this is so important to me, because there is nothing like realizing that you can always have a new beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment